Masculine + Feminine Energy
Now you might be thinking “Umm I’m a guy… why the eff would I need to know about feminine energy?” - or the other way around!
Well, the truth is that we ALL have masculine and feminine energy within us, whether you identify as male or female.
Think of masculine energy as being the ambitious part of you that wants to set goals and follow them in a way that is logical and focused. And your feminine energy as being the side of you that’s open, supportive and patient.
They’re complementary and they’re each as important as the other… Especially when setting a goal and training for it.
Awareness of both of these energies helps us to know when to go full steam ahead and when to rest. After all, duality is a part of life - think about light and dark, day and night, activity and recovery.
In modern day society, we’ve been taught that we should ALWAYS be on the go, always be striving for more and always “hustling” (a word that sends actual shivers down my spine!).
As a result, we’ve shifted into our wounded masculine energy and have become overly competitive and controlling. This is at the expense of our feminine energy and it shifts us out of balance and alignment.
Rather than following intense periods of activity with rest, we tell ourselves to go further, push harder and achieve MORE.
By doing this, we’ve ignored the natural rhythms of our bodies, overlooked the cycles of nature and tried to outsmart our intuition when it tells us to take a break or reset.
Think about a time when you’ve been injured but still pushed through that extra run or training session only to look back and say “I should have listened to my body”.
By choosing not to tune into our bodies and find balance between the two energies, we end up finding ourselves burned out, resentful or suffering with mental or physical disease.
Our bodies are always speaking to us and giving us real time feedback… but the question is… “Are we listening?”.
We all have masculine and feminine energy within us and we can harness either of these energies during the day.
MASCULINE ENERGYHere are a few examples of the traits of masculine energy:
- Logical + left-brained
- Action oriented toward an end goal
- Physical strength + using of brute force
- Seeking self-mastery
- In constant motion
- Needing to constantly “do”
- Seeking material possessions as a marker of success
- Making decisions based on information
- Fearlessly pursue your goals + desires
- Have clear direction on goals
- Can focus on the end result
- Be laser-focused on one thing at a time
- Become self-sufficient + self-reliant
- Create boundaries around your emotions +
- your body in order to achieve your goals
- Connect with others through camaraderie + problem-solving
Here are a few examples of the traits of feminine energy:
- Emotional + right-brained
- Allowing things to show up at the right time, rather than forcing situations
- Emotional strength, gentleness + sensitivity
- Seeking self-mastery, but more concerned with sacrificing for the greater good
- Extroverted + open
- Vulnerable, nurturing + receptive
- Cooperative, still + tranquil
- Wanting to “be”, rather than “do”
- Making decisions based on intuition
- Focusing on the emotional world + inner being
When you harness this energy for good, you...
- Magnetically attract your desires
- Create space for your goals to develop at their natural pace
- Enjoy the process of creation independent
- of the end result
- See the big picture
- Work with others and create community
- Connect to your emotional and physical life as a catalyst for change + development
- Relate to those around you by listening, sharing + nurturing
Imbalance occurs when you focus on, or prioritise, one type of energy over
Take a moment to think about the qualities that resonate with your life and experiences, without the pressure of conforming to society’s expectations.
Consider what aspects of the masculine and feminine energies connect with you in all areas of your life and how you can embrace these.
Live your life as the most authentic of yourself by balancing the different energies within you.